Skip to main content




BYU-Hawaii International Flag Circle
Thanks to a generous subsidy by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, tuition (including student medical benefits) for LDS members is around $7,000 for 3 full semesters a year, making BYU–Hawaii one of the best universities by way of value per dollar in the entire United States. See our Cost Of Attendance.

As a byproduct of the relationship with the neighboring Polynesian Cultural Center, more than 1,900 students are able to obtain jobs at the center and on-campus while studying here at BYU–Hawaii. A typical student can easily earn $9,000 a year to help pay for education expenses. In addition, many students qualify for Pell Grants or scholarships that are offered on campus to academically qualified and/or financially needy students. To explore financial aid options, see our Financial Aid & Scholarship Homepage.

Student Body

Image of multicultural students standing and smiling
Of our 2,800 students, 64% of the student body is from our target area (predominantly international), ranging from 60 different countries of origin. The other 36% of our students are domestic, from the U.S. mainland.

International students have different application requirements depending on what country you are from. See the general application requirements for international students and the specific needs of your country’s academic system.

U.S. domestic students can find SAT/ACT requirements as well as other things they might need for their application. See the domestic student requirements for more information. If you are looking for transfer requirements, see our list of courses from select schools around the nation.

Life at BYU–Hawaii

Image of BYUH aerial photo
If you are a serious student who wants to study in a safe and spiritual environment that prepares students to be leaders, BYU–Hawaii will be perfect for you. Our Honor Code includes dress and conduct. See our full Honor Code. With clubs, sports and tons of school activities, you will love campus life. Some of our roughly 40 clubs include the music club, the gaming club, the outdoors club, and clubs from cultures around the world.

Hawaiian Studies

hawaii view.jpg
The mission of the Hawaiian Studies Program is to provide the kahua (foundation) which connects the university with our kupuna (ancestors) of the ʻāina (land) of Lāʻie and Hawaiʻi. Additionally to support and complement the goals of the university through its program in language and culture, which include art, music, history, hula, and chant. The curriculum of the Hawaiian Studies Program teaches kuleana (stewardship) for ka ʻāina (the land), through utilizing our beloved Kahuaola and its loʻi (taro patch). In addition, students will learn kuleana for ke kai (the sea) through our beautiful 57 foot waʻakaulua (double hull voyaging canoe) Iosepa. The Hawaiian studies curriculum stimulates creativity, intellectual growth, and performance skills with critical thinking, producing individuals who are prepared for family, community, and church service. Students will be prepared to function successfully in a chosen profession as individuals who are equipped for problem-solving and shared decision-making through open communication in the contemporary global environment. Furthermore, the Hawaiian Studies Program prepares students to be fluent in ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi (Hawaiian language). Students will be able to use ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi socially as well as professionally.